Q: Will a 2003 mustang 3.8 automatic transmission go in my 2000 mustang 3.8? Is anything different between the 2?

Ok so i bought this my 2000 mustang 3.8 automatic about 3 weeks ago off craigslist. Drove it home and never checked reverse till next day and realized it has no reverse. I have been looking at buying a transmission and came across a 2003 mustang 3.8 automatic for good price with 90 day warranty. I don't have the money to pay to rebuild it, thought about rebuilding myself and tallked myself out of it. So i guess my question is can i replace my 2000 with a 2003 and if not , why? I have Googled it and get mixed answers. Some say 99-04 will interchange, some say only 99-00. I'm going crazy here don't know which is which.

Both years use the 4R70W transmission, but the OEM part numbers are different. I checked some aftermarket suppliers and those part numbers are different also. So, the answer to your question appears to be no, the two are not interchangeable.

• Will a 2003 mustang 3.8 automatic transmission go in my 2000 mustang 3.8? Is anything different between the 2?