Q: Why would my car have no spark after it was shutoff?

I turned my car off after idling for several minutes. When I restarted it, put it in gear, it died. Now it will not start. It is getting fuel. I have checked plugs and cleaned them. After letting it sit,( in case it was flooded), it still acts as if it has no spark.

A: Hello. A no spark condition can be caused b...

Hello. A no spark condition can be caused by several components. You may want to use a voltmeter and a spark tester to preform some relatively simple tests. When you talk about cleaning and checking the spark plugs, were they fouled to begin with? Did you make sure when you reinstalled them that they were gapped correctly? If one or more of the spark plugs are heavily coated in soot or oil you may have a much larger issue. And improperly gapped spark plugs can make the cylinder not fire entirely. Assuming the plugs are fine, you want to check the wires on the spark plug end's boot with a spark tester, and make sure each plug is receiving the voltage it needs. If one or more of them are not, the ignition cables and or distributor may need to be replaced. Do some further testing on the spark plugs and wires to determine where the lack of power is coming from.