Q: Why would I need a new hall sensor, is that and a cam sensor vital to fix before driving a long distance?

I've been feeling a very slight jerk/misfire/lurching motion when driving at very high or low speeds (less between about 35-60mph.) I was paying attention to if it was getting worse over time or other problems were developing, but it was very slight and consistent. I'm not sure if that is even related, but then my check engine light came on with code P0341 (cam shaft 'a' sensor.)

I took it to a VW dealer mechanic and they're saying I need a new cam sensor at $125, a new hall sensor at $200, a $100 diagnostic fee, and a $109 installation fee, so coming out to over $500. I was under the impression that a cam sensor replacement was fairly easy and inexpensive, and I don't even know what a hall sensor is. Wondering how I should proceed. The van is still starting/driving mostly fine, and I'm wondering if I'd be safe to drive it up north about 5.5 hrs to my home (I've been traveling) and get another quote without damaging anything/getting stranded (traveling alone.)

Hi There, A hall sensor is in many cases the same as a camshaft position sensor. Many camshaft position sensors work on what is called the "hall effect" meaning they provide a square wave output voltage (either 5 V or 12 V) with a change in frequency relative to engine speed. An increase in engine speed is met with an increase in the output frequency from the camshaft position sensor. The camshaft position sensor is a magnetic sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. It gathers and sends information about the car’s camshaft speed to the car’s electronic control module. This information is used by the computer to further calculate the time of ignition and the timing of fuel injection required by the engine. When this is not working properly, you may experience a drop in power, poor idling, poor fuel mileage and problems starting the vehicle. As the sensor begins to fail and gets worse over time as the signal it provides to the computer weakens. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Why would I need a new hall sensor, is that and a cam sensor vital to fix before driving a long distance?