Q: Why would a mechanic add a thickening agent to motor oil?

I bought this car in August. It received its last oil change from the dealership I bought it at. I went in today to a Hyundai dealership for another oil change, and to have the starter replaced, and they informed me that my motor oil is very thick, and there is a low knowcking noise indicating a bad rod. The mechanic told me that he believes that the dealership added a thickening agent to mask the noise of the engine that could have indicated a problem in order to sell me... a 21 year old college student... a piece of shit, that now needs a new engine. They also think that the thick oil could have ruined my starter.

Could they have done that? What other reasons would they thicken my oil? What kind of action can I take?

3. Why would a mechanic add a thickening agent to motor oil?