Q: Why won't my car start

I took my car to a shop the other day and ran a scan, the car showed that the problem was the Crankshaft Position sensor. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor on the car and it ran fine for a day, now I am back at the same problem. The car makes a static noise and will not crank over even with the new part then smoke comes from where the sensor is, please help.

We need to keep in mind that when there is a code, it wasn’t intended to indicate the part that needs to be replaced, rather it indicates the system that is malfunctioning. Granted, with many systems, there are patterns that emerge, and most will resort to replacing what is the most common failure for a given code. In your case, I suspect you have a wiring problem with the harness that is connected to the crank sensor.

When the sensor was replaced the first time, this wiring was likely disturbed and a good connection was made again. After a few days, the harness relaxed back to the state that originally caused the problem and now you see smoke coming from that area.

A direct visual inspection of the harness and sensor should be done by doing some disassembly. Look for damaged and melted wires. The internal metal core will be exposed. The plastic on the outside of the metal core will be cracked or melted.

The static noise is likely a result of the same wiring issue. Either way, the static came along with the initial failure and it will likely go away after the vehicle is fixed. If not, then you most likely have another issue. If you want to have this looked at by an expert, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and pinpoint what repair is needed.

3. Why won't my car start