Q: Why is my wheel bearing always acting up?

At 45,000 I am about to replace my fourth wheel bearing on my 2012 Toyota Tacoma pickup. I have replaced the front driver’s side wheel bearing three times now and the passenger side wheel bearing once. Why does this keep happening and what will make it stop? I cannot afford to keep replacing these at this rate!

Greetings and thank you for writing in with this question! If the vehicle is lifted or has larger-than-stock tires, this may be the cause of the wheel bearing problem. Non-stock ride height and custom suspension parts cause undue stress on the wheel hubs and bearings. Additional possibilities include water and/or mud intrusion in the hub/bearing assembly. You may address your situation by replacing the front hubs and bearings with aftermarket units. Scheduling an appointment to diagnose the situation and installation is important, as improper installation can cause these failures as well.

3. Why is my wheel bearing always acting up?