Q: Why is my power steering pump so noisy?

Power steering pump is too noisy and would like to know why. I put new power steering oil and still very noisy. Could it be the the idler pulley is making that noise?

This may be caused by the pump simply being worn out or being forced to work too hard as a result of the rack and pinion system not functioning properly. As you may know, the rack and pinion system also pumps power steering fluid through a series of reed valves and eventually through the power steering pump.

When this is not pumping fluid properly, this can cause the power steering pump to have to work harder than normal, causing it to wear out prematurely and make a whining sound which is also common when it is low on fluid.

I would recommend having an expert, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose any issues with your power steering system and replace the pump if needed.