Q: Why is my car running hot?

No leaking car runs hot and smoke sometimes shut off and doesn't have full speed

A: Great question and I understand your frustr...

Great question and I understand your frustration. I want to go through a few steps to ensure we find the issue with your car and hopefully save you some money. So your car is overheating without leaking? Here are few things to check:

1. Check your thermostat. I want you to get your car to operating temperature and see if your upper radiator hose is really tight. If it is your thermostat you won’t be able to squeeze it more than a little. There is a way to check it but using a lighter to see if it compresses. You can hold a flame to the back side of it (the round part that is copper). If it compresses then it is good.

2. Check your oil and your antifreeze. See if it is mixed. If so then you are having a problem with a blown head gasket.

3. If it is overheating and the other problems aren’t bad then you could have a problem with your water pump. But wait, before we go there and decide that this is the issue lets take a few more steps.

4. Let’s look at your antifreeze. Is it extremely low? If so then you need to fill it. With the recommended antifreeze.

5. If it is good, I want you to open your upper radiator hose. Make sure you use safety glasses especially if the car is still warm.

6. Does it look like there are different colors of fluid in there (red, green, yellow, orange, blue, purple, etc). If so, you will need to flush your cooling system vigorously maybe 10 times to get everything out.

7. If everything else is fine, I still would recommend flushing your system just to make sure you aren’t experiencing a clog somewhere in your system.

These steps will definitely get rid of your problem. If everything else is fine and nothing mixed, thermostat good, and no clogs you will probably need a new water pump.