Q: Why is car stalling?

Car stalls at start up after a few seconds, takes a couple of times to finally start. There is a strong smell of fuel. Sometimes there is some hesitation at a stop sign/light when accelerating. After it runs awhile it's fine. Do I need fuel injection cleaner, fuel filter or something else? Any ideas before I get ripped off at a repair shop.

Hello. If you get a strong smell of fuel when this occurs you either have an internal fuel leak or a coolant temperature sensor problem. I typically start by checking the fuel injectors and pressure regulator to see if they are leaking. If they are, then I replace them. If not, it is more than likely that the sensor is faulty causing the computer to dump too much fuel into the engine if it detects the wrong temperature. If you plan on having this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s stalling issue and determine what needs repair.