Q: Why Don’t Engine Hoses Melt with the Heat?

Why don’t engine hoses melt with the heat?

A: Engine cooling hoses are made from a variet...

Engine cooling hoses are made from a variety of rubber compounds (EPDM) that provide us with several desirable attributes. The hoses should be able to withstand multiple thermal cycles (hot/cold), last for a long time (years), have resistance to abrasion, resist swelling or collapsing, and contain full system pressure without rupturing. Having cooling system hoses that melt with heat is not one of the desirable attributes that we want.

If the hoses on your vehicle are dry and cracked, and you need someone to inspect and replace your hoses, reach out to a professional technician who would be glad to assist you.