Q: Belt failure

why does my vw touareg diesel engeen 2005 cuts ts alternator belt this is the fourth time this mouth trying to change the alternator belt whenever it is broken and still it is cut into pieces.i will like to know why does this happen before i get a new belt

Hello. If the belt is continuously getting cut then it is either coming into contact with something, or there is an issue with the alignment. I would carefully examine the areas where the belt is routed through to see there is anything that may be coming into contact with the belt. Even slight contact may be enough to cause damage to, or tear the belt. It could also be possible that there is an issue with the belt’s alignment on the pulleys. If one or more of the pulleys that come into contact with the belt are slightly off, even by a few millimeters, it may put additional stress on the belt, which may cause it to break. A careful examination of all of the pulleys could determine if one of them is damaged, bent, or otherwise out of alignment. Another possibility is incorrect belt routing, again, placing additional stress on the belt to the point of it’s failure. If you are unsure what the issue could be, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to determine what the issue could be.