Q: Why does my check engine light come on then turn off?

My check engine light came on and so did the VSA and the ! in my Acura while I was in third gear (35 miles per hour), It started to stall as well not allowing me to electorate (limp mode). I pulled over, turned the car off, tightened the gas cap (4 clicks). I continued driving and eventually the check engine light turned off. Next day the same thing happened. Do I need to get a new gas cap or is something else wrong?

Hi There, The check engine light can come on for many different reasons. There is a good chance that what you are describing may be related to the evaporative emissions control system in your vehicle which is possibly why the check engine light went off when you tightened your gas cap. In some cases, the gas cap may be faulty causing the vapors from the tank to leak which will trigger this kind of reaction. If this is not related to the fuel cap, this may be likely related to your EVAP emissions system and something called a purge valve solenoid. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors. When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine. The vent control valve (solenoid) controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. When this is not working properly, you may experience the gas pump shutting off prematurely causing it to take a very long time to fill up your fuel tank. This is due to the excess fuel vapor that is present when the purge solenoid is not working properly by releasing these vapors. The gas pumps at the fuel station have automatic sensors on them (for safety reasons) that shut off automatically when too much fuel vapor is present. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to take a look at your car to diagnose your EVAP purge solenoid.

3. Why does my check engine light come on then turn off?