Q: Why Do so Many Aftermarket Companies Manufacture Mufflers?

Why do so many aftermarket companies manufacture mufflers?

A: Replacing the stock exhaust with a good aft...

Replacing the stock exhaust with a good aftermarket system is a fairly easy and relatively inexpensive way to give your car a little boost in power, and don’t forget the appearance factor and the difference in sound. Replacement systems downstream of the catalytic converter are typically emissions compliant. From a manufacturing standpoint, exhaust systems are fairly easy to develop and build, so that’s what makes them attractive for the aftermarket companies. Keep in mind it’s not just a “muffler,” but a system. The diameter of the connecting pipes and internal design of the muffler itself can make a noticeable difference in exhaust flow and how the engine responds to throttle input. Also, remember that more noise doesn’t necessary equal more power, so take into consideration how much noise you can live with on your daily drive.