Q: Why did my gas lowered after just putting some in?

Why did my gas lowered after putting in half a tank of gas? It read half a tank after coming home and turning the car off , I went outside a couple hours later to start the car all of a sudden the gas lowered and read as if I had less than what I put in. My car recently had it's ignition coils and spark plugs switched. And have been told it needs a new catalytic converter can this be the problem?

Hi There, A faulty or clogged [catalytic converter] can certainly cause the vehicle to get poor fuel mileage, however it will depend on the severity of the mileage. If the fuel gauge is reading drastically lower than what it read earlier and tends to fluctuate erratically, you may have a faulty fuel tank sending unit. The fuel gauge sending unit is a small float type component (or sensor) inside your fuel tank that measures the level of the fuel inside the tank. As the fuel level drops, this change is detected and relayed in the form of a signal to the car’s computer which then displays the reading on the fuel gauge in your dash. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your vehicle.

3. Why did my gas lowered after just putting some in?