Q: Charging system

What does it mean when you driving your car and you press on the gas pedal all your lights gets brights but when you are not on the gas pedal or your on the break your lights goes dim ?

Hi There, As you know, the alternator charges your battery and relies on engine RPM’s to generate more voltage to the system as needed such as when accessories or lights are turned on, which draw down the electrical system. As this happens, the alternator is required to work harder to generate more voltage to power these accessories. The higher your engine RPM’s turn, the more voltage is produced, thus making the lights brighter. If they dim to a certain point, this suggests that the voltage regulator may not be allowing the alternator to produce the proper voltage to the electrical system at lower RPM’s. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your electrical system.