Q: Why are my brakes squealing?

Break light has been on for a couple weeks and I didn't think anything of that it. Today my car started to squeal when driving and would stop when my car came to a complete stop. I heard a rattle too along with the squeal at one point. Ended up I needed to add break fluid so I did and it seems ok now but could that rattle of been something coming apart? Anything I should be concerned about now?

A: Hello. Yes you should be concerned for the ...

Hello. Yes you should be concerned for the braking system. The light coming on was likely an indicator that the fluid was low, but it can stand for other issues as well. The fact the brake fluid was low in the first place is cause for concern. That brake fluid is going somewhere, and there is most likely a leak somewhere. This needs to be your top concern. The brake fluid you added is just going to deplete itself as the last did. Leaking brake fluid is the leading cause of brake failure. This can be very dangerous. Leaks are typically found on the lines, the master cylinder, or from a bleeder valve. The rattling noise is may or may not be related, but needs to be kept in mind in case it is not, you will want to diagnose that next. Start by finding the leak or reason the brake fluid was low. Then worry about the noise if it persists.