Q: Why am I going through so much oil?

After having a used engine put in my car a couple months ago my check engine light has come on and I'm having to put a quart of oil in about every 100 miles. The engine had about 63000 miles on it but came from a reputable company. I've had it back in the shop and they keep sending me home saying something about am oil consumption test. But also that there was oil in the tailpipe? I'm very nervous about driving my car like this. Especially since I've lost any kind of pickup in acceleration. What would cause this and what should I do?

A: If you are using 1 quart for every 100 mile...

If you are using 1 quart for every 100 miles then you have a major engine problem. This much oil can get in through the piston rings, valves, and seals in the heads. You should have the engine checked for internal engine oil leaks. Oil consumption tests are to prove you are adding this much oil.

If you don’t want to keep going back to the dealer, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come diagnose your oil leak and make the necessary repairs to your vehicle. Good luck.