Q: Who do you know what to replace the AC compressor or the clutch when it is squeals

My AC compressor started squealing and kicked off I drove home with the AC off. When I got home I had my wife turn it on while watched it. It turned but squeals bad and kicks out if you don't turn it off from fear of burning belt off . what would be the problem , the AC compressor or just the clutch

A: Hello. I’m sorry to hear of this. If you ar...

Hello. I’m sorry to hear of this. If you are turning on the A/C and you are hearing excessive or unusual noise at the compressor, the drive belt is squealing, the belt jumps, or there is unexpected mechanical resistance impeding the belt from turning, there are several possibilities: a) the A/C compressor shaft ball bearing has worn out and is on the verge of seizing; b) the a/c compressor clutch is slipping or malfunctioning; or c) the compressor is seized or "getting there" due to a mechanical fault and/or inadequate amount of compressor oil in the system. All of these repairs are fairly common. If the compressor has an internal break however, the system has to be evaluated for loose debris, typically metallic, which would be bad to have circulating. Repairs such as this can be performed at your home or office and YourMechanic would be glad to dispatch an expert to both diagnose the situation and let you know of the least cost, but most effective solution to address your failing a/c compressor.