Q: White smoke from under the hood. Vavle cover gasket replacement?

Had a car wreck a week ago. Car had problems starting up then dying out instanly. Finally started, took it to a mechanic. Once I parked, I noticed white smoke coming from under the hood. The inspected and said they couldn't see exactly where the smoke was coming from. They said they saw a little leak somewhere. They said I needed a vavlve cover gasket replacement (both), camshaft position sensor replacement, and to clean the throttle. I only got the throttle cleaned. The car seems to start fine and all, but the car still smokes a lot. Could the other two things they said be the problem or something else?

If oil is leaking through the valve cover gasket, and the oil drips onto the hot exhaust manifold, you will see smoke as well as detect a very strong burning odor. Such a leak would be a potential fire hazard, too. Some antifreeze leaks will result in "smoke" or vapors. In any event, anytime you have "smoke" of any kind, or to any degree, coming from the under hood area, that is something that should be investigated and resolved promptly. If you desire, you can request an oil leak diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the leak(s) and then let you know of your repair options and costs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. White smoke from under the hood. Vavle cover gasket replacement?