Q: White smoke comes from tailpipe before and after warmup. What cause it

What causes the white smoke and what would be the repair cost.

A: If you have white smoke coming form the tai...

If you have white smoke coming form the tail pipe all the time then you are getting engine coolant into the engine cylinders and this causes the smoke to come out of the tail pipe.

The cause could be the head gasket on one or both sides of the engine are leaking from internal engine corrosion or the intake manifold is leaking coolant into the engine. A test could be done to see if engine compression is getting into the cooling system indicating the leak is a head gasket or a cracked cylinder head causing pressure in the radiator.

If the test passes, then the leak may be the intake leaking and the only way to tell is to remove the intake to check the leak. A pressure test into the radiator can also check to see where the coolant is leaking into the engine by pulling out a spark plugs and seeing what cylinder is getting coolant into it with a bore scope.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, come and do these tests so that they can verify the cause of your car's white smoke and make the correct repairs.