Q: Whirring sound at higher speeds, but no vibration or loss of handling

Noticed in past week that when i drive the car above about 35 mph, there is a distinct whirring sound (like a distant airplane) that is hard to locate. the faster you go, the louder it tends to get and doesn't abate when you stop accelerating. At lower than 35 mph, it doesn't make the sound at all. There is no vibration or groaning like you might get with a bearing, and no change in handling detected at all.

A: Hi there: Quite often this type of noise c...

Hi there:

Quite often this type of noise can be caused by a loose center wheel cover or a hub cap as it hits the wind at higher speeds. Other possible causes of this type of noise may be related to a CV joint that is beginning to wear out. The only way to know for certain is to have a mobile mechanic test drive the vehicle and complete a car is making a noise inspection; so they can listen, feel and determine the source of the noise and pinpoint what’s causing this to occur.