Q: Whirring sound at higher speeds, but no vibration or loss of handling

Noticed in past week that when i drive the car above about 35 mph, there is a distinct whirring sound (like a distant airplane) that is hard to locate. the faster you go, the louder it tends to get and doesn't abate when you stop accelerating. At lower than 35 mph, it doesn't make the sound at all. There is no vibration or groaning like you might get with a bearing, and no change in handling detected at all.

3. Whirring sound at higher speeds, but no vibration or loss of handling