Q: Whining/No Power Steering

There is a winding noice coming from up front when the gas pedal is pushed the truck can be in park and or In drive! It makes the whining when it's just idling Also when I reverse and then out it into drive it's super hard to steering back straight but when I get going it's fine! Also

A: Hi there. This is a common symptom of a pow...

Hi there. This is a common symptom of a power steering pump that may be low on fluid or possibly be failing. As you may know, the power steering pump is a hydraulic pump that requires fluid to build hydraulic pressure with the help of the engine turning the pump via a belt driven motor. When there is not enough fluid in the pump to build this hydraulic pressure while the engine is turning the pump, this will cause that whining sound you describe. This can also happen when the pump is beginning to fail and not circulating well or possibly leaking. When either of these situations happen, this will also cause the steering to become stiff as the "power assist" feature is no longer working at its capacity. To have this corrected properly, I recommend having an expert, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the steering problem and whining noise so that you can return the car back to normal operation.