Q: While in Drive trans will not shift out of 2 nd gear

Reverse works drive works in 1st and 2nd but will not shift into 3rd

The transmission has a solenoid that will change the transmission into each gear. If one of the solenoids do not energize then you will be stuck in the gear before. You should have the transmission system tested for pressure and solenoid operation.

I recommend having a mechanic scan the engine and transmission for codes. They will be able to use the codes for diagnoses and see if the vehicle has electrical wiring, connector, or solenoid issue. Have the vehicle look at by a qualified mechanic who will be able to pinpoint and fix your shifting problem.