Q: Where chip is at and does it work?

I have a 2001 Crown Victoria police interceptor it was a cop car. The guy I'm buying it off of says it has a chip in it. Where is the chip and how do I know if it is working?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. If the <a href='...

Hi, thanks for writing in. If the vehicle has a chip installed, then you will have to inspect the PCM of the vehicle to see if it is attached to the connector of the PCM or installed in the PCM housing in a poet at the opposite end of case from the wiring connections of the PCM. If you do not see anything then there is no chip installed. The only other way may be through reprogramming the PCM using a programmer. Ask the guy you bought it off of what kind of chip is installed. You would not be able to tell the chip was installed in most cases unless you drove it before and after it was installed. Most common improvements will be more power, less fuel mileage and shift of the transmission later allowing the engine to rev higher. Hope this helps and best of luck!