Q: When you put a new coil on your car do you have the clear the chaeck engine light after you fix it

My car starting sputuring and the check engine light came on I had it check it was the coil clyinder 3 so I went ahead and replaced all coils my self but I don't know if I have to clear the check engine light after I have fixed it I test drive it and it's still doing the same thing

Hi there. The codes stored in the engine computer do not provide a diagnosis, only a direction for diagnosis. When the computer detects a signal that is out of specification it sets a code. A qualified technician reads the code and analyzes data provided from the computer through the scan tool, then assesses which test procedures need to be performed. Clearing the code will not repair anything and I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a check engine light inspection.

3. When you put a new coil on your car do you have the clear the chaeck engine light after you fix it