Q: When trying to start my 97 Grand Cherokee it just screeches

When i try to turn it over to start it just screeches. Could it be something besides the belt. If its the starter can i just tap it like a lawn mower?

What you’re probably experiencing is the starter drive spinning against the ring gear. Tapping on the starter probably won’t help you. If you catch it early, you can solve it by replacing the starter. But if you drive the car for a while and have it screech a few times before finally working, it will eventually damage the ring gear, making it necessary to replace the flex plate. (what we call the flywheel in a car with an automatic transmission). You can have this problem solved at your convenience by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your starting problem and replace your starter if necessary

3. When trying to start my 97 Grand Cherokee it just screeches