Q: When to disconnect the battery during repair

What kind of work requires the battery to be disconnected? Does replacing fuses require it?

No replacing fuses isn’t required. If you want to do any kind of serious electric work, it could be required because you don’t want to short out the power to your wiring system and have it go back to the computer and fry the computer. Say you’re going to change the alternator, first take one of the battery terminals off. Then you can’t short anything up. Say you’re working under the dash - I’ve seen more guys replacing the radio on their cars and then short something out and ruin the computer of the car. Anytime that you mess with electricity, it’s good to unplug a terminal and then do your work. But you don’t have to do it for just a fuse. The fuses are safety devices themselves anyway. If you want to have a fuse replacement done for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to perform the task.

3. When to disconnect the battery during repair