Q: When temp gauge is 1/3, alarm sounds, lights go out, & fuel gauge stops

When the temperature gauge is around ⅓ the way, the alarm inside comes on, the fuel gauge stops working, the headlights go out, as well as the dash lights; plus, if I put it in park I can’t shift it out of park. The only way I’ve found to deal with this is by disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery’s positive terminal so the computer will reset. It seems to me that it might be a bad electrical and/or cooling issue. What do you recommend?

If the problem happens every time the gauge hits the same position, then you may have a short in the gauge that is causing the problem. I recommend verifying the exact time the problem happens then contact a mechanic and explain the problem. The mechanic may need to remove and replace the instrument cluster or control module after final testing. These vehicles had a lot of electrical issues with the wiring harness connector pins not making contact intermittent and causing various problems and can be hard to locate and repair the problem.

• When temp gauge is 1/3, alarm sounds, lights go out, & fuel gauge stops