Q: When starting truck, odometer disappears

When I start my truck, the odometer disappears! I have to use the menu to get the odometer to be visible again. I installed an after market radio that the auto shop keeps blaming for the problem. However, I don’t think so because it was in my truck for over a year ‘before’ this problem started. I researched online and have seen that others have this exact same problem too. Several said that they pulled the after market radio out and put in a stock radio, but the problem was still existing. I don’t want to remove mine because I paid big time to have it installed with an after market wiring harness. What do you suggest is the problem and what should I do?

A: Hello. I don’t believe the radio installati...

Hello. I don’t believe the radio installation would have anything to do with your issue because it did not occur until long after installation.

I think the issue likely is with the instrument cluster itself. The instrument cluster should always display a distance unless it is faulty. It will store the last distance received from the PCM: if it is unable to get new distance data it should automatically display the last distance received data.

Being that the instrument cluster just blacks out without automatically displaying the stored data leads me to believe the cluster is faulty. Before replacing the cluster I would leave on an interior light on and unplug the battery. This will reset all onboard electronic systems. Often times issues like this are from a system needing to be reset not repaired.

If you'd need assistance with these checks, feel free to contact a professional mechanic who can ensure that your electrical components are working properly and fix any issues that come up.