Q: When should the timing belt be changed in this vehicle?

Looking at buying this vehicle. I am fearful of repair jobs however this thing looks in great shape. Are these prone to problems? The dealer says the timing belt is in great shape however I want to get 50k miles out of this. Tks Dave

A: This vehicle has a timing chain. If the dea...

This vehicle has a timing chain. If the dealer is saying different, i'd be leery of their credibility. In theory, timing chains don't need any maintenance. Nothing is done to them until there is a problem. Here is an article that might help you make a decision about your next car purchase.

Also, I looked at the link you provided and noticed this vehicle is in Canada. It is possible it was built with a timing belt being in a different country. Although, I don't think so in this case because Canada is part of the same continent as the US. It is just something to note, the information I utilize is for the American market.

To add, in theory, timing chains will last longer than timing belts. The catch is, when they do need repair, it is typically more expensive. One timing chain repair can cost as much as two or three timing belt jobs. Labor alone for this Land Rover is 8.5 hours plus parts, with many more parts needed than a timing belt. In my experience, timing chains will begin having problems as the vehicle approaches 200,000 miles. This Land Rover has 147,181 miles. It looks like a great vehicle though.

My perspective is all vehicles will begin maintenance cycles that increase their cost of ownership as they reach over 100,000 miles. If you break down the monthly payments of buying a new vehicle and compare what maintenance is to come for your used purchase, often you will find you will spend the same over a year than if you just buy a new car. If you love the vehicle and don't mind the repair costs, then there is nothing wrong with buying it. All vehicles will need work. Although it sounds like you need a vehicle that will not break the bank. Unfortunately, Land Rovers are not known to be cost effective to own. They have great styling and perform well in off road situations.

Check out the link I provided above. I have over two decades of repair experience and the article is spot on with my experience. I own two Toyota's because I want to work on my own cars as little as possible.

Good luck. I hope I have provided you with some perspective.