Q: When should I check the inflation of my tires?

When should I check the inflation of my tires?

A: There are few things as important to both s...

There are few things as important to both safe driving and saving money as making sure your tires are properly inflated. Low tire pressure creates excess wear and results in higher fuel costs. High tire pressure creates unnecessary wear, but also makes your tires more susceptible to damage from debris in the road. Here’s what you need to know about checking your tire pressure.

• Use the recommended tire pressure found on your driver side door placard, never the PSI rating on the tire’s sidewall.

• Check your tire pressure visually every time you drive.

• If a tire looks lower than the rest, check the pressure with a gauge and add air if necessary.

• Check the tire pressure physically (with an accurate gauge) at least once per month and before any trip.

• Make sure to check the pressure when the tires are cold (before you drive anywhere).

Keep a tire gauge in the vehicle with you at all times.