Q: When lights come on, radio goes off and visa versa

Recently the battery light in my truck came on. Last night while driving, when I turned on my lights, the radio independently turned off. After stopping, I turned the lights off and the radio turned back on. My truck starts just fine and it has given good performance; I take good care of it. The radio is a stock radio. Do you think that the alternator or the battery are causing this problem with the lights and the radio?

A: Hello. It sounds like the battery and/or al...

Hello. It sounds like the battery and/or alternator is causing the electrical problems that you are experiencing. The battery light coming on in the dashboard is an indication that there is a problem with the battery and low voltage may cause the vehicle to do some crazy things. I would recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection of the electrical system in order to pinpoint the problem.