Q: When lights come on, radio goes off and visa versa

Recently the battery light in my truck came on. Last night while driving, when I turned on my lights, the radio independently turned off. After stopping, I turned the lights off and the radio turned back on. My truck starts just fine and it has given good performance; I take good care of it. The radio is a stock radio. Do you think that the alternator or the battery are causing this problem with the lights and the radio?

Hello. It sounds like the battery and/or alternator is causing the electrical problems that you are experiencing. The battery light coming on in the dashboard is an indication that there is a problem with the battery and low voltage may cause the vehicle to do some crazy things. I would recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection of the electrical system in order to pinpoint the problem.

3. When lights come on, radio goes off and visa versa