Q: When I turn on my AC, it makes a weird noise?

When I turn on my AC my car makes a weird noise, sounds like it comes from the middle of the middle of the dashboard. What can it be?

Hi there, thank you for writing in. To be able to properly diagnose this, I am curious as to what the noise you are hearing sounds like. If the noise is coming from the dash then it may be an air door motor or more commonly, the blower motor failing. I have seen the blower motor bearing start to fail and make some fairly loud noises. If the noise is coming from under the hood it may be a failing air compressor, compressor belt or it may be the front engine mount. I have seen these mounts make noise when they fail and when the AC is turned on due to the extra load on the engine. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this noise issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.