Q: When I start the vehicle it idles at 1500 rpm and never drops down.

I have a 1994 Ford explorer and it idles high at all times (1500rpm and up). I tried to disconnect the battery to see if the computer would reset the idle and it didn't work. I replaced a ($30) sensor on top of the intake manifold by the water inlet to the thermostat (has two prongs and is right under the air intake). It seemed like it worked for about a day then started to idle high again. When I am driving and come to a stop sign I can feel it pushing the vehicle forward and when I stop and place it in park the idle jumps way up to 2500 rpm. I am at a loss to what could be causing the engine to run so fast.

Hello there. About 80% of the time, a high idle issue on pre-2000 V-6’s are caused by a vacuum leak, either from the EGR valve or other emissions related component. It’s also probable that the idle control valve on the throttle body is stuck or dirty and needs to be cleaned. It’s probably a good idea to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location before you attempt repairs and complete a cars idle is high inspection first.

3. When I start the vehicle it idles at 1500 rpm and never drops down.