Q: When I put my key in the ignition I cant turn it at all.

I got up and went to work this morning and my car worked just fine. Once I got off today I go to turn my car on and my key wont turn at all. I tried pressing the break down and turning the wheel to see if its locked but that didnt work either. I think my anti-theft system kicked in and locked my ignition because some days it would slightly lock up but then it would turn over. My lock and unlock buttons dont work on my key so I dont know if that has anything to do with it as well. I really need to get my car started. Can you help?

Hello. If your vehicle is producing these symptoms intermittently then it may be possible that there is some sort of issue with the anti theft system. If your remote is not working I would first check to make sure that the battery is good, or that the unit is functioning. There are certain cases where a fault with the remote will cause unusual behavior with the anti theft system. Other possibilities are sensor or wiring issues, or a problem with the anti theft module or computer. It may also be possible that the issue is with the ignition cylinder or switch themselves. In most cases you should be able to deactivate the system by inserting the key into the driver door and unlocking it manually. If this does not work then there may be an issue that needs to be repaired. As these sorts of issues can sometimes be difficult to diagnose I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose what may be causing your anti theft system malfunctions](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/electrical-components-are-not-working-inspection).