Q: When I put my foot on the brake my back left brake light goes off, when I take it off the brake the brake light comes on

I have a Toyota Corsa 1992 model. Im based in NZ. My friend slammed my boot shut extremely hard which appears to have damaged the brake lights. A yellow "check lights" symbol now appears on the dash. Subsequently when I put my foot on the brake my back left brake light goes off, when I take it off the brake the brake light comes on so the opposite of what should be happening. The problem is only on the left side and applies only to the brake light. Help me please

A: I would suggest trying to disconnect and re...

I would suggest trying to disconnect and reconnect the wiring to the rear lights. I have seen these older Toyota vehicles rear lighting short out on the lights themselves due to the way the light circuit was made on the lamp housing. Look at the housing circuit on the light to see if one is touching another, and that could tell you why it is malfunctioning. There could also be a problem with the brake light switch. If you are not comfortable dealing with wires, I recommend getting in touch with a certified mechanic who can look at your brake light issue for you to see what's going on.