Q: When I make a turn I get a knocking noise from the rear of the vehicle

When I make a turn I get a knocking noise from the rear of the vehicle. The more I turn the worse (louder) it gets. As the vehicle straightens out I hear it a bit and then it disappears.

A: Hi there - I suspect the spider gears in th...

Hi there - I suspect the spider gears in the rear differential have failed in some way. The spider gears rotate only when the rear wheels move at different speeds (like when you are turning sharply). It is also possible one (or more) of the CV joints on the rear axles has failed, and not rotating smoothly. I would recommend having a car shudders when turning inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.