Q: When I got the car it had a bad sensor, the one for the temperature gauge. I put a new one on it and then I started it up 2003 Toyota Camry

I bought a temp sensor and put it on my car and I started it up and then took off in it and drove it for about 45 minutes I went to leave town that I live in and it was good then it started acting up I looked in my mirror and it was smoking so I had to get off the road and when I pulled over it died and I looked under the car and all over backwards was oil from the oil pan back there was oil and it would not start back up and we replaced the oil pan gasket and put new oil in it and it still will not start it will roll over but not start

Hi there - the behavior you describe could be caused by a faulty, or more likely disconnected, coolant temperature sensor sensor. If the coolant temperature sensor for engine management (not necessarily the sensor for temp gauge itself) is disconnected or there is a wiring fault, engine management treats this as VERY cold engine conditions, and provides a very rich mixture to the engine - yielding black smoke. Check to be sure the coolant temperature sensor is operative, and connected properly first. You are likely also getting a problem code, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. These codes will guide diagnosis as well. I recommend a not starting inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. When I got the car it had a bad sensor, the one for the temperature gauge. I put a new one on it and then I started it up 2003 Toyota Camry