Q: Clicking sound when turning over.

I go out and start my jeep and all i hear is a click but i can get a hump and it starts up

Hi There,

It sounds like you may have a weak battery or potentially a faulty starter solenoid. When the battery is not strong enough to turn the engine over, when you turn the key there is still power (not quite enough) going to the starter. It will struggle to turn the engine over and produce a clicking sound as you describe. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starter.