Q: When at a stop light my car stopped working and would not accelerate.

Today I was at a stoplight when my car just stopped working. It was still on, but seemed as if I just had the battery on. I turned the car on and off and did not have a problem like that afterwards. However when I am driving sometimes my car gets a little bit shaky and their is a strange sound coming from the left side when I accelerating that I would best describe as a when you put a soda can under a bike tire to make it sound cool, but in a classier, scary way.

A: You seemed to have three different potentia...

You seemed to have three different potential problems. Symptoms such as these are not common or pattern symptoms, so giving advice about them here is not likely to help you much. Also, there isn’t enough information about your motor and transmission setup. There are two motors and one can be a hybrid, which changes the circumstances significantly. All your symptoms could be related or not. No way to tell without directly experiencing the issues.

Either way, aside from the sound, you have drivability issues that appear to intermittent. Intermittent symptoms can be challenging to reproduce, so be prepared for the technician to spend some time attempting to reproduce the problem. If these symptoms are indeed intermittent, you may want to wait until something is continually failing before having a technician take a look. It is a good idea to have someone spend an hour to see if something jumps out at them. But only an hour may not lead to the problem coming up again. We can spend many hours chasing intermittent problems with no diagnosis.

So the next time your car exhibits these symptoms, take note of the weather and temperature of the car. Is is fully warmed or cold? Do these problems occur after a long drive, in traffic, on a certain section of road? These details can often help us to reproduce the problems quicker. Are you climbing a hill, at a stop light, light throttle, at a cruise on the highway, etc. This is all good information that will help the mechanic when you are ready to have your car’s stalling issue diagnosed.