Q: What would cause the motor not to crank and the dash lights to stay on? 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500

I changed the motor in my Chevy Truck and now the dash lights and headlights won't go off and my truck won't crank

Hi - check fuses first, then check the engine wiring harness, especially the starter wiring, for correct re-connection. The behavior suggests either no engine-to-chassis ground, or incorrect wiring. Either or both appear to be "back-feeding" 12 volts to the dash lights and headlights. If you are unable to make headway, and wish to have some assistance, I would recommend an inspection of the engine wiring by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• What would cause the motor not to crank and the dash lights to stay on? 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500