Q: What would cause oil to get into the coolant?

I had a mechanic run straight water in the cooling system and there was no oil. As soon as we added antifreeze oil started to show up again. The car is also overheating and we cannot figure the problem out. Can you help?

Hi, thanks for writing in. A cracked head gasket is the definite answer to your question. You will need to fix this as soon as possible. It is detrimental to the running of your engine. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect this issue and confirm a diagnosis for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.

3. What would cause oil to get into the coolant?