Q: What would cause my transmission not to go into 1st gear and not down shift

What would cause my transmission not to go into 1st gear and not down shift

A: Hello. I will help you with your question a...

Hello. I will help you with your question about the transmission in your Chevrolet S10. There are both electronic and hydraulic shift controls in your vehicle. A likely cause of the failure to shift or downshift is a valve in the valve body (including solenoid actuated valves) has failed or is sticking. It is also possible that a hydraulically actuated piston in the transmission that actuates a clutch pack is leaking or an o-ring on a piston has torn or worn out.

Pressure testing can reveal some of these issues or at least distinguish between a hydraulic problem versus an electrical control problem. Valve body issues can usually be dealt with without removing the transmission from the vehicle. If it turns out that a piston has failed, essentially the transmission has to be removed and rebuilt.

If you’d like to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location to diagnose your shifting issue and help you fix it accordingly.