Q: What would be the common or uncommon causes for gas mileage to drop by almost 50%?

In the past, I was getting between 16 to 20 mpg and when I checked it 1 week ago, it had dropped to 10.5 mpg.

I do not see any signs of an obvious gas lead.

The brakes were checked 1 year ago.

New tires were installed 6 months ago.

It was inspected 3 months ago - everything OK.

The engine did "sputter" about two weeks ago. I added two cans of "heat" and the sputtering ceased.

I am not experiencing a loss of power.

Occasionally, it takes longer to start (normally, I turn the key and it starts. Now, on intermittent occasions it may take up to 3 to 4 seconds to start).

Occasionally, I will briefly detect a smell of raw gas shortly after it starts.

If you have further questions, let me know: searlyrizer@aol.com

What can I do?

Thank you,

V. Wayne Skattum

3. What would be the common or uncommon causes for gas mileage to drop by almost 50%?