Q: What type of maintenance is needed for child seats and seat belts?

What type of maintenance is needed for child seats and seat belts?

While your seat belts require only basic maintenance, and your car seat(s) only requires regular cleaning, there are some specific steps that you’ll need to take to ensure the safety of your little ones, as well as other passengers in the car.

Car Seat Maintenance:

• Regularly inspect the car seat for any damage, dirt and grime. Clean it regularly. See your manufacturer’s specific information regarding cleaning and maintenance.

Seat Belt Maintenance:

• Clean your seat belts regularly with mild soap, water and a soft cloth.

• Let them dry before allowing them to retract.

• Clean retraction points with a cloth to prevent dirt from entering the retractor, which can cause your belt to move slowly.

• Check the condition of shoulder belt adjusters.

• Check the condition of all seat belts (look for snags, tears and other signs of damage).