Q: What type of engine oil should I use?

What type of engine oil should I use?

Oil is essential for your engine – it lubricates moving parts and keeps friction to a minimum. While it’s important that you keep your oil level within the specified limits and have it changed regularly, it’s just as important that you use the right type of oil. The oil weight is a measure of how well it performs at different temperatures, and using the wrong weight can reduce your fuel economy, rob your engine of power and more. Here’s what you should know:

• 2.5-liter – Use either 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil.

• 3.5-liter – Use only 5W-30 oil.

Tips

• It doesn’t matter what brand of engine oil you use, so long as it’s the right weight, and the bottle has the seal of the American Petroleum Institute (API). Never use oil that doesn’t carry this seal.

• For 2.5-liter engines, 0W-20 oil is the preferred option as it provides the best mix of protection and performance. It’s also a better choice for regular high-speed driving.

• For 2.5-liter engines used in areas with significant hot weather, 5W-20 may be the better option.

• For 3.5-liter engines, 10W-30 oil can be substituted if 5W-30 is not available. However, this should be changed as soon as possible.