Q: What type of engine oil should be used?

What type of engine oil should be used?

Oil is an essential ingredient for your engine. It lubricates moving parts and eliminates friction that would otherwise destroy the engine in a short time. However, not all types of oil are the same. Your engine was designed to use a specific weight. Using an oil thinner or thicker than that specified could cause problems ranging from poor fuel economy to sluggish engine performance to damage. The only oil weight your SUV is rated to use is 5W-20. You can use any brand, so long as the bottle has the American Petroleum Institute’s seal on it. You cannot use a different weight, though.

Tip

Using a different weight oil may actually void the warranty on your engine.