Q: What type of engine oil should be used?

What type of engine oil should be used?

A: While your engine needs oil to operate, not...

While your engine needs oil to operate, not all oil types are created equal. You need to make sure you’re using the right weight and type of oil for your engine. Ford designed your engine (all engine sizes for the Fusion) to use 5W-20 engine oil. You can use any brand you want, so long as it is 5W-20, and the bottle carries the certification seal from the American Petroleum Institute (API).

Don’t add heavier engine oil. Use only 5W-20. Using thicker oil will result in reduced fuel economy, poor engine performance and possibly damage the engine.