Q: What towing equipment and accessories should I have?

What towing equipment and accessories should I have?

A: If you’ll be towing a trailer with your Civ...

If you’ll be towing a trailer with your Civic, you will definitely need a number of accessories and some special equipment. Here’s what you need to know:

1. Hitch: Your car is NOT equipped with a tow hitch. You’ll need one rated for the trailer you intend to pull installed professionally on your car.

2. Chains: You will need a set of safety chains to connect the trailer to the hitch in addition to the ball.

3. Brakes: Depending on the weight and size of the trailer, you may need to consider brakes (electric brakes are the most common).

4. Mirrors: You might need to install aftermarket mirrors on your car so that you can see the trailer and the vehicles behind it (depending on your state’s laws).

5. Lights: Your trailer will have to have lights that connect to your car’s wiring harness. This includes turn signals, taillights and brake lights.