Q: What to buy, high mileage with repair budget or low mileage with no repair budget?

I want to buy a practical 4x4 pickup and I am looking at a early 2000's Chevrolet and my budget is 13000. I am wondering if I am better off buying an $8000 truck with 170000 miles with a 5000 repair budget or to buy a $13000 with 120000 miles and no repair budget?

Hi there -by definition, a 4WD vehicle is going to have higher maintenance costs than 2WD; there are more moving parts. However, one that has not been used off-road, not pushed a snow plow, and only occasionally pulled a boat, starts you off in a better position than one which has had a lot of extra-curricular activity! I would personally lean towards making a higher initial purchase price, for a truck that has not been modified, or used in a severe manner, then back it up with a pre-purchase inspection to increase your chances of making a good purchase.

3. What to buy, high mileage with repair budget or low mileage with no repair budget?